Monday, April 18, 2011

Lazy Monday

Despite the title, I actually have quite a bit to do. I have two more finals to study for (both are econ finals so both are hard), a room to clean, a job to find, law school applications to start, the LSAT to study for, and I should probably go buy some doughnuts. I'm sure I could think of more things, but who couldn't? There's always one more thing to do on the list, something more we need to get done--when do we ever finish everything we need to get done? Are we really expected to just keep going and going and going, mindlessly doing one task after another, without time to recharge? I don't know about you, but I'm no Energizer bunny.

Today, I should have woken up at 7:00 am, gone to the library, and started studying for my finals. Then I could come home later this evening, make some calls about some jobs, clean my room, start my applications...

Instead, I woke up at nine, and just listened to the rain. I love the rain. There's nothing better than waking up to the sound of rain drops tapping at your window. Instantly your bed feels cozier, you feel a little happier, your load feels a little lighter, and life seems a little better. As I lay there, I thought about the previous week--what I accomplished, what I learned, and what I had to show for it. Was I happy about the things I did, and how I used my time? Did I actually live that week, or just pass it by in ceaseless chores? Now, I'm all for hard work, perseverance, and whatever other synonyms for those things there are. However, I'm also for vacations, relaxation, and just taking time out to think. If we don't take time out for ourselves, what do we become? You got it: robots. Robots don't feel, they don't think--they just do. They don't have to take time to recharge because they're constantly plugged into the wall or have some kind of advanced super-powered self-sustaining battery. They don't care about living life, first of all because they can't care about anything, second of all because they're not even alive. They don't need to think about who they are and how they feel or what they need to change to become happier; all they have to do is fulfill their programming, and then get programmed to do something else.

Well, I say, let the robots do the slaving away, working on the assembly line of life of endless chores and thoughtless tasks. Sometimes we have stretches where we need to work and can't take a break for an instant, sure. We as people need to work to progress in life, and to that I say work as hard as you can, do what you need to do, and do it your very best. But what I'm proposing is, through it all, don't forget who you are. You're not a robot. You're a human. And humans, throughout their daily labors, sometimes look up at the bright majestic clouds overhead, or listen to the lofty songs of birds, or watch the wind play in the trees, and feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment