Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's All in Your Head..

Day Four of finals. After the wonderful one I started my day with at 7:00 am this morning, I only have one more to go. My last econ final EVER. Maybe I'll save it for tomorrow. I know graduation's then, but I have just loved being a college student oh so much, that I think I'll put off the test; that way I can be a student that much longer, and revel in the stresses and inconveniences that are a part of it, at least for one more day. Yeah.

So, I want to talk about my blog title a bit. "Enlightenment Doesn't Mean Eating Fewer Calories"--ingenious, I know. Someone asked me where I got that from, as if I stole it from some low budget movie or a too-long-lived TV show like Smallville (I love you Smallville--season 10, baby!). Nah, I made it up, and I'm pretty proud of it. I think it says a lot of things. Well, maybe only three things.

First..and Second: Today, we (as Western society) put a lot of emphasis on the physical, the superficial, the outward appearance. Some people kill themselves trying to look like the people they see on TV or in magazines. They feel like they can only "fit in" or be "liked" by "others" if they look like what society tells us is glamourous and attractive. This pressure leads many to stress about what they eat, how much, how often, etc. Even I have fallen prey to this, especially in high school; since then I still eat only a huge gust of wind for breakfast on the way to school. Ok poorly placed joke/allusion, but seriously. Who decides how to fit in, or which traits are more likable over others--and who are these "others" that apparently assign us our value of worth? Cutting our calories, watching our weight, checking ourselves in the mirror every five seconds to make sure that one strand of hair is still in place, doesn't make us any smarter/kinder/more respected/happier. What makes us unique and valuable are the varied experiences we've had in life, and how we wisely apply those lessons learned. What makes us more fulfilled is attaining knowledge from any veritable source, and using it to better our situation and that of others. Happiness comes from the wisdom we've internalized, in our hearts, and in our minds. Thus, enlightenment isn't gained through the vain and superficial, through being the most physically attractive. And, enlightenment certainly doesn't refer to becoming lighter in weight through eating only air, popcorn, and other things that weigh .167 grams or less.

Three: I truly respect the examples of great philosophers and practitioners of wisdom who have gone forth before me, like Gandhi, Confucius, and Marcus Aurelius. However, there have been some who think that visual, public actions speak louder than hidden, private examples of integrity. I beg to differ. For example, is one who sits in the public square for weeks, refraining to eat in defiance of his government or some policy, more enlightened than he who obeys the law of his land because he swore to it? Is one who ends his life in flames out of protest, for all to see, greater than he who hides from danger, biding his time and sparing his life until he has strength and numbers enough to rise and fight, losing it if he has to? I mean no disrespect to the many who have done such for just causes; I am merely speaking in general terms about how we interpret "enlightenment," and about what we say constitutes a manifestation of such. Perhaps enlightenment is shown not only in those actions that are plain to the mind--such as a hunger strike or other public forms of self-deprecation--but also in those that are hidden from the eyes, but which are still felt in the heart.


Shout-out to the Faux sisters.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, sweet, I got a shout out. It's only a matter of time before a whole post is about me...

    ReplyDelete