Friday, April 29, 2011

Baseball Is 90% Mental. The Other Half...Is Music

Some very wise words from Yogi Berra as recounted by the Beatles, known around the world for their music, and their love of baseball.

So, I started working again Tuesday for one of my Arabic professors, mainly because it's stuff I've owed him since I stopped working for him last January. Did I mention it's for free? So maybe I shouldn't call it working--I'm just doing some Arabic stuff for a guy. I don't care about the (no) money though. I need something to do because I'm bored out of my mind without school to stress about (who woulda figured, eh? Although I guess if I need something to stress about, I could still stress over dating...naah). Also, it's somewhat of an attempt to refresh my Arabic; my dad told me on graduation day that he's working on a trip for us to Saudi Arabia for two weeks. That would be AWESOME. It's a different dialect than I'm used to (I spent four months in Egypt), and I have to do a LOT more than read and translate Arabic sentences to prepare (the Arabic stuff that I'm doing for a guy), but I'll still go happily. I've been meaning to travel again ever since I got back from Egypt; unfortunately I won't be going back there for some time due to the fact that, through my ceaseless political conversations with the natives, I apparently and unwittingly fomented a revolution. Oops. Wish I could've been there for that.

Saudi Arabia would be cool--not one of the places I thought I'd ever go, and from what I've seen from Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, it's quite unlike Egypt, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to go there with my dad. It actually seems cooler than Egypt in some respects, Egypt with its undereducated, underemployed populace, its lack of care or respect for public goods, its counter-factual arguments and beliefs which are all too often overly frustrating to endure. It may sound like I'm picking on Egypt and hate it; these are actually some of its most charming and endearing qualities which you notice when you live there. Anyways, I know nothing about Saudi but that I think the economy is a little bit better.

Other places I've always wanted to go:
India. I feel like I could just get lost there. So many languages, so many cultures, so much space--I would love to just hike around the whole country, staying a week or so in whatever place that catches my eye. (If you want to make my dreams come true, I do accept donations.)

China. Specifically Dimen, Guizhou province. Ever since reading Amy Tan's article "Village on the Edge of Time" in the May 2008 National Geographic, I've longed to see China's numerous but endangered traditional villages, of which Dimen is a great example. Traditional architecture, traditional labor, traditional religion and beliefs--nothing like the mainstream China we hear about in the news, the economic powerhouse that is gradually creeping its way into all corners of the country, choking the life out of the native and ancient customs of its people like kudzu. I want to see these people, their villages, their way of life, before it's too late.

Russia. I don't know where exactly I want to go, and yes I realize the place is kind of huge. I think I just want to visit the place and experience the people and their culture firsthand. They've had such a rough go of it, what with one dictator and horrible experience after another. History has molded the people of Russia into a society not seen anywhere else in the world. And I want to see it.

Mozambique. In 2009, a bunch of scientists playing around with Google Earth discovered a new mountain--even a whole pristine rain forest--right in Mozambique. Immediately upon arrival they found many new bird, butterfly, and reptile species; more are due to be found. Mount Mabu is hailed as "the last untouched place on earth." I sure hope it's not. I've always had a thirst for exploration and discovery, and the such recent revelation of Mount Mabu from right under our noses gives me reason to hope.

Madagascar and its islands. Same reasons as above--the chance for discovery.

Many more...

All in all, life's too short and the world's too big and and you can't do anything these days without loads of money. I hope I get around to seeing even the hundredth part of the places and peoples on my list, but with the violence, wars, and unfriendly policies exhibited by some countries (plus all the time required to make enough money to go in the first place), I have quite the challenge before me.

Again, I accept donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment