Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sweet Dreams

I've had some waaay weird dreams lately. I wish I knew what caused them, because some of them are freakin awesome. I think I'll do some experiments to see what gives me the most creative, most way-out-there dreams; maybe I'll watch Inception and eat lots of ice cream every night before I go to bed. That should do it, yeah?

Seriously though, I find dreams and the attempts to interpret them really interesting. I don't understand how they've done it, but apparently psychologists think they can glean information about a person's current mental and emotional state from even the smallest of details in a dream. The weird thing is, it seems to be pretty spot-on--at least as spot-on as the Chinese zodiac can predict a person's personality (mine's actually pretty accurate--Year of the Tiger baby!). I looked up some of the things that happened in my recent dreams on some sketchy/random dream interpretation website, and a lot of what they said makes sense regarding my current situation. Let me share some dreams and their "interpretations" below:

I found myself in some kind of nature preserve--like a national park of some sort. Walking along a paved pathway, I couldn't see more than a few feet to either side of me due to the encompassing forest. The sky was blocked from view by scores of maple and redwood trees, their leaves casting fluttering shadows on the ground. The redwoods towered overhead, mainly on the perimeter of the park out in the distance, while the maples directly juxtaposed the path. Most were green or yellow, but occasionally bright red foliage would worm its way out of the chlorophyllic monotone. As I topped a hill, I could see a building--a cabin or ranger's station, maybe--not too far ahead of me. There were people heading to and from there, nonchalantly making their way on the path, some alone or some in pairs. It wasn't them that seized my attention though. What occupied my focus were the bears.

Huge bears roamed freely up and down the sides of the path, others scattered deeper in the forest. Noticing the rather large humps right behind the shoulders, I could tell that they were grizzlies. Immediately I froze--who hasn't ever seen an episode of "When Animals Attack" or some variation, where the grizzly bear is the main feature? Let's just say, they are definitely not painted in the best light, being labeled with such descriptions as "man hunter" or "extremely ferocious and unpredictable." Not even that one guy who lived among grizzly bears alone with a video camera, trying to prove the falsity of our grizzly stereotypes--who, might I add, was a foremost expert on grizzly bear behaviour and ecology--lived long enough to see that day. So, I had the right to be a little nervous.

These bears didn't seem terribly interested in any of the people though, myself included. Oblivious to their surroundings, they waddled through the underbrush, scrummaging for berries or other morsels of food. Deeming it safe, I continued on the path, marveling at the encircling woods--how the sunlight peered through the canopy, barring my path with columns of light; how everything was painted with a greenish haze; the joyful hum of bugs buzzing in and out of vision; the coolness of the air on my skin. I was broken out of my rapture, however, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bear barreling towards me. Great, I thought to myself, it's a dream come true. This is how I'm going to go out: death by enraged grizzly bear. (Luckily, and unbeknownst to me, it was still a dream.)

I fled into the forest, my clothes snagging on the ensnaring shrubs and bushes, the dense trees keeping me from escaping deeper into the woods. As I struggled to push my way ahead, the bear seemed to have no trouble at all. Must be really hungry, I thought. Just as he neared me, I arrived at a wrought-iron fence--you know, the kind with the intricate fleur-de-lis shapes at the top of each post. Behind it was nothing but darkness and deeper forest at the bottom of a steep hill. Anyways, as I tried to lever myself over it, I heard a voice. "You don't want to do that, Robert," the bear advised me. "Whatever you do, don't go through that door." At this point, I was confused on three accounts. First off, the bear was talking to me. Talking. It's at least never happened to me before. Second, I had no idea what door he was talking about. Thirdly, as I glanced back at the bear, he seemed to take on the form of that gigantic bear costume thing on "Bear in the Big Blue House" (not that I ever watched it). I decided it was safer to try my luck below in the darkness beyond the fence, than to test this bear's seemingly kind and teddy bearish appearance. With that, I leaped over the fence.

Everything went black. Not long after, my eyes started to perceive my surroundings. I had landed in a dingy corridor illuminated only by dim lights; most of them buzzed on and off, futilely fighting (and losing) the battle against the ensuing darkness. Rust crept its way along the walls, tinting them various shades of red and brown as water dripped incessantly from the corroded pipes forming the ceiling. Directly in front of me was a heavy metal door with a red light above it; to my left I saw more doors as the corridor extended and abruptly turned left. Some of the doors were marked with red lights, others were dark. The doors were indistinguishable from one another; all were large and thick, crafted from the same gray metal, with a narrow rectangular window set above the handle. From what I could tell, there was nothing behind those windows, only black. To my right, the corridor continued just a little bit before ending in a door set below a stuttering green light. Pricked by curiosity, I slowly approached the door, conscious of my own footsteps in the stifling gloom. Closer, closer. Soon I was close enough to peer through the window. Leaning towards it, I noticed how grimy it was. Made of double-paned glass, a whitish residue threatened to block anyone from looking through it. No matter, I thought. Nothing to see anyways. It's just all dark through this one, too.

Then a face jumped up on the other side of the window, and I knew how wrong I was. Staggering backwards, my eyes did not leave the face. It was a man; scraggly brown hair flowed down from his head in sharp points, while dark eyes sat deeply back in his skull, rimmed by small round glasses. Noiselessly, his mouth made the motions of speaking, but what with the silence and his contorted facial expressions I couldn't tell if he was yelling in anger or howling in pain.

I decided not to open that door. Retracing my steps, I tried the first door. Locked. Making my way left and around the corner, I tried all of the other doors, but each one was locked. Now what the bear said made sense. "Don't go through the door," he told me. He must have meant the one with the creepy yelling/howling guy on the other side. But that was my only way out! What else was I supposed to do?--all the other doors were locked! I decided against caution to open that door. Reaching for the handle, it turned with a groan and the door unlatched. With a deep breath, I walked forward.

In the next room, I was 'welcomed' by three guys. One of them was the glasses man I saw through the window. He was rather short and balding on top, dressed in a dark green shirt, suspenders holding up his khaki pants. Oh yeah, and he had a pistol aimed at me. The guy next to him was quite a bit taller, sporting his white collared shirt with a smug expression on his scruffy face. The third guy I can't remember. Breaking the silence, the man with the gun emphasized his words by shaking his pistol at me. "What're yous doin' here?" he questioned in an Italian-American accent.

"Um, I'm just looking for a way out," I said hesitantly. Judging quickly and stereotypically from the guy's accent, I reasoned that these must be mafia, and I became all the more nervous. I've never met mafia guys before, but I've heard the stories and seen the movies, and they did not give me confidence.

"Wella, it's just right aroun' the corna," said the smug guy, smiling casually, as if his friend didn't have a gun pointed at me. I looked behind me, seeing that this end of the corridor curved off to the left where the exit must be.

"Thanks. Well, I'll just be going then."

"Yep, see yous," replied the smug guy. He turned around coolly, hands in his pockets, as if he weren't now facing a filthy, rusty wall. His short friend kept the gun trained on me, his whole face invested in one of the ugliest scowls I'd ever seen. Backing away slowly, never turning my back on him, I rounded the corner and entered the sole door at the end of the corridor.

Sunlight suddenly attacked my eyes. Squinting against the brightness, I realized that I was in some sort of a clearing in a back alley. Three buildings arched over me to my front, back, and right. Up above people were yelling back and forth from their balconies in Italian accents, while a pizza parlor rested on the ground level of the building to my right. As hungry as I was, and as friendly as this back alley seemed, I decided to leave via the opening to my left. With a few strides and a leap I started flying (though it was quite a laborious chore; I struggled to stay afloat), and apparently I was in Hawaii--down below I saw a beach and lots of Hawaiian people. Then I woke up.

The other dream(s) and their "interpretations" will follow shortly. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment